Schools & Universities Report Health & Productivity Benefits From Green School Efforts, According To New McGraw-Hill Construction SmartMarket Report
NEW YORK, Feb. 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a new report released today by McGraw-Hill Construction entitled New & Retrofit Green Schools-The Cost Benefits and Influence of a Green School on its Occupants, both K-12 and universities are reporting significant benefits from their green school efforts—both in improved child health, wellbeing and performance, but also teacher and faculty satisfaction. These results are accompanied by reported financial benefits from green school activities.
According to the study, nearly all K–12 school (91%) and university (89%) respondents report that green schools have improved the health and well-being of their students. Additionally, 70% of K–12 schools and 63% of university leaders report green efforts as raising test scores of their students.
Leaders also report other benefits from their green schools efforts:
- 83% of K-12 and 85% of university leaders report increased faculty satisfaction as a result of teaching in a green school.
- Nearly a third (32%) of K-12 school leaders report reduced student absenteeism.
- 48% of K-12 and 56% of university leaders who increased access to natural light and views into their classrooms reported increased student engagement.
- 44% of K-12 and 51% of university leaders who included improved acoustics in their green projects noticed improvement in student attentiveness as a result of those improvements.
"As our leaders of tomorrow, our nation's children and young adults need healthy places where they can learn and prosper. We also need active, engaged teachers who can help facilitate this learning. This study reinforces the link between green building practices and student and faculty well-being," said Harvey Bernstein, vice president, Industry Insights and Alliances for McGraw-Hill Construction. "These are powerful results and help to underscore why we are seeing schools shift increasingly toward exclusively building and improving their schools with green building practices and products."McGraw-Hill Construction's Dodge Green Construction Outlook, drawn from proprietary project data reported in November that 54% of education construction was green in 2012—up from 30% in 2008, and it is expected to grow, which reinforces the importance of this study and the benefits green buildings can offer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV