Hospitality Properties Trust (NYSE: HPT) today announced that it has entered a letter of intent and an exclusive negotiating period for hotel investments with NH Hoteles, SA (BME: NHH) (NYSE: NHHEY (ADRs)) in Latin America, Europe and the USA totaling approximately US $375 million.
The outline of terms which have been negotiated between HPT and NHH is as follows:
- HPT will purchase five hotels (804 keys) in Latin America from NHH for approximately US $70 million. These hotels will be managed by NHH under long term contracts for 20 years plus renewal options. NHH will provide a limited guarantee of a priority return to HPT on HPT’s invested capital at the rate of 10% p.a. and HPT may receive additional returns after base and incentive management fees are paid to NHH. This investment and HPT’s returns will be paid in US Dollars.
- HPT will provide a loan to NHH for €170 million which will be secured by first mortgages on four hotels (1,203 keys) in Europe. The loan will be a recourse obligation of NH Hoteles, have a seven year term and require interest at a floating rate not less than 10% p.a. In certain circumstances, HPT will have the option to take ownership of these hotels by cancelling the loan and paying the difference between the loan amount and the agreed values of these hotels. The loan will be funded and interest and principal paid in Euros. HPT expects to hedge its foreign currency risk by borrowing in Euros an amount approximately equal to the loan.
- NHH and an European partner currently own a 242 key hotel in New York City. HPT and NHH will form a joint venture to acquire this hotel. HPT expects to provide up to US $80 million to retire the ownership of NHH’s current partner and fund a major refurbishment of this hotel. After this hotel is refurbished, NHH and Sonesta International Hotels, Inc. (“Sonesta”) will jointly brand and manage this hotel. HPT will receive a priority return on its investment in this hotel equal to 8% p.a. Also, after Sonesta and NHH receive management and branding fees and after NHH receives a return on its residual investment in this hotel, HPT and NHH will divide the cash flow based upon their agreed ownership interests.
John G. Murray, President of HPT, made the following statement at the time this letter of intent was announced:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV