It's nice to see a sense of urgency here, but many investors probably see this as "too much, too little, too late."
There's little doubt that the company will be closing some stores, and there's also the possibility of some asset sales. Both may be necessary if RadioShack hopes to survive.
In terms of resources, there's still $536 million in cash on the books, and $391 million remaining on a revolving credit agreement. Debt at $778 million is an issue, and a concern. The company's convertible notes, with principal of $287 million mature in August, and that will need to be addressed soon. The remaining debt matures in 2016 and later.
Taking into consideration RadioShack's latest balance sheet data, the company still trades at a relatively small multiple of net current asset value, at 1.08 times NCAV.This is "owning ugly" at its finest. If the company can regroup, and emerge as a smaller, profitable entity, owning RadioShack here will be viewed in hindsight as a "deep value" play. If the downward spiral continues, it will be seen as a fool's errand. I've been on both sides of that equation a time or two. At the time of publication, Heller had was long RSH. Follow @jonmhellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV