This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Ares Capital Corporation Declares First Quarter 2013 Dividend Of $0.38 Per Share And Announces December 31, 2012 Financial Results

(5) Computed as (a) annual stated interest rate or yield earned plus the net annual amortization of original issue discount and market discount earned on accruing debt and other income producing securities, divided by (b) total debt and other income producing securities at amortized cost.


For the quarter ended December 31, 2012, Ares Capital reported GAAP net income of $175.1 million or $0.71 per share (basic and diluted), Core EPS(2) of $0.45 per share (basic and diluted), net investment income of $94.5 million, or $0.38 per share (basic and diluted), and net realized and unrealized gains of $80.7 million or $0.33 per share (basic and diluted).

Net income can vary substantially from period to period due to various factors, including the level of new investment commitments, the recognition of realized gains and losses and unrealized appreciation and depreciation. As a result, quarterly comparisons of net income may not be meaningful.

As of December 31, 2012, total assets were $6.4 billion, stockholders’ equity was $4.0 billion and net asset value per share was $16.04.

In the fourth quarter of 2012, Ares Capital made $1,062.8 million in new commitments, including commitments to 10 new portfolio companies, 10 existing portfolio companies, as well as eight additional portfolio companies through the Senior Secured Loan Fund LLC, which operates using the name “Senior Secured Loan Program” (the “SSLP”) through which Ares Capital co-invests with GE Global Sponsor Finance LLC and General Electric Capital Corporation (together, “GE”) to fund first lien senior secured loans. Of these new commitments, 26 were sponsored transactions. As of December 31, 2012, 95 separate private equity sponsors were represented in Ares Capital’s portfolio. Of the $1,062.8 million in new commitments made during the fourth quarter of 2012, approximately 50% were in first lien senior secured debt, 9% were in subordinated certificates of the SSLP (the proceeds of which were applied to co-investments with GE to fund first lien senior secured loans through the SSLP), 34% were in second lien senior secured debt and 7% were in other equity securities. Of these commitments, 87% were in floating rate debt securities, 90% of which contained interest rate floors and the remaining 10% were in the subordinated certificates of the SSLP, the proceeds of which were applied to co-investments with GE to fund floating rate first lien senior secured loans through the SSLP, all of which contained interest rate floors. We may seek to syndicate a portion of these new investment commitments, although there can be no assurance that we will be able to do so.

3 of 11

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AAPL $93.75 -1.10%
FB $117.53 0.69%
GOOG $693.00 0.29%
TSLA $240.75 -2.80%
YHOO $36.61 0.06%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,773.64 -57.12 -0.32%
S&P 500 2,065.30 -10.51 -0.51%
NASDAQ 4,775.3580 -29.9330 -0.62%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs