DineEquity, Inc. Provides Financial Guidance For Fiscal 2013
DineEquity, Inc. (NYSE: DIN), the parent company of Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar and IHOP Restaurants, today announced financial guidance for fiscal 2013, reflecting its transition to a 99% franchised model.
“We believe it is appropriate to provide guidance in some greater detail this year given the successful transition to a fully franchised business model,” said Julia A. Stewart, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of DineEquity, Inc.
Fiscal 2013 Key Financial Performance Guidance
Now that the Company’s is 99% franchised, we are focused on driving same-restaurant sales and traffic to support franchisees. The Company expects its business model to generate continued strong free cash flow in 2013. (See "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" below.)
- Applebee’s domestic system-wide same-restaurant sales performance to range between negative 1.5% and positive 1.5%.
- IHOP’s domestic system-wide same-restaurant sales performance to range between negative 1.5% and positive 1.5%.
- Applebee’s franchisees to develop between 40 and 50 new restaurants, the majority of which are expected to be opened in the U.S.
- IHOP franchisees and its area licensee to develop between 50 and 60 new restaurants, the majority of which are expected to be domestic openings.
- Franchise segment profit is expected to be between $312 million and $325 million.
- DineEquity will operate its remaining company-operated restaurants to primarily test new products, operational improvements, technology, and service platforms. Given the nature of these restaurants, they are expected to generate a profit of approximately $1 million on an annualized basis. This is net of approximately $2 million of depreciation and amortization.
- The Rental and Financing segments are expected to generate approximately $34 million to $35 million in combined profit. This reflects revenue and expenses mainly generated from franchise restaurant development by IHOP prior to 2003. A structural run off applies to both the rental and financing segments.
- Consolidated general and administrative expenses are expected to decrease to between $144 million and $147 million, including non-cash stock-based compensation expense and depreciation of approximately $19 million, due to the comprehensive general and administrative cost reduction initiatives implemented in 2012.
- Consolidated interest expense is expected to be between $101 million and $103 million due to the reduction of long-term debt balances and the decrease of financing obligations as a result of refranchising. Approximately $6 million is expected to be non-cash interest expense.
- The Federal income tax rate is expected to be approximately 38% compared to the effective Federal income tax rate of 34.5% for fiscal 2012. The higher tax rate is primarily due to the decrease in the Federal employment tip credit now that the Company is 99% franchised.
- Consolidated cash from operations is expected to range between $88 million and $102 million.
- The structural run-off of the Company’s long-term receivables is expected to be approximately $14 million.
- Principal payments on capital leases and financing obligations will be approximately $10 million.
- Consolidated capital expenditures are expected to decline to between $8 million and $10 million mainly due to significantly fewer company-operated restaurants.
- A mandatory annual repayment of 1% on the current outstanding Term Loan principal balance will be $4.7 million.
- Consolidated free cash flow (see "Non-GAAP Measures" below) to range between $77 million and $93 million. Consolidated free cash flow is defined as consolidated cash from operations, plus principal receipts from long-term receivables, less principal payments on capital leases and financing obligations, consolidated capital expenditures, and the mandatory annual repayment of 1% on our Term Loan principal balance.
- Net income allocated to unvested participating restricted stock is expected to total approximately $1.5 million.
- Weighted average diluted shares outstanding are expected to be approximately 19.3 million. This increase from the prior year is primarily due to the fourth quarter 2012 conversion of the Series B Convertible Preferred Stock into the Company's common stock. No estimate is made in this number for any potential share repurchases.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV