Today, Rackspace® Hosting (NYSE: RAX), the open cloud company, announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire ObjectRocket, a MongoDB database as a service (DBaaS) provider. With ObjectRocket’s open source-based MongoDB solution, Rackspace will broaden its OpenStack-based open cloud platform to offer customers a NoSQL DBaaS. The ObjectRocket offering also immediately expands Rackspace’s capability to help customers shoulder big data in the cloud for today’s most demanding applications. The acquisition will close today.
According to a report from The 451 Group, “NoSQL software revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of 82 percent to reach $215 million by 2015.” With the acquisition of ObjectRocket, Rackspace will establish a strong presence within the high growth, NoSQL database market. The ObjectRocket offering will be available in early March for Rackspace customers in its Chicago facility and will soon be deeply integrated across Rackspace's Open Cloud portfolio. ObjectRocket also leverages AWS Direct Connect to provide low latency and free bandwidth to AWS customers and will continue to be sold as a standalone service.
“Databases are the core of any application and expertise in the most popular database technologies will be critical to us delivering Fanatical Support ® in the open cloud,” said Pat Matthews, senior vice president of corporate development at Rackspace. “As we look to expand our open cloud database offering into the MongoDB world, we are really excited to work with the entrepreneurs and engineers at ObjectRocket.”
ObjectRocket’s platform is specifically architected to provide an easy-to-use, consistently fast and scalable MongoDB environment. The platform also offers best-in-class features, which include:
- Highly Available – Each instance resides on multiple redundant pieces of infrastructure, while databases are replicated and optionally exist in multiple geo-diverse data centers.
- Automatically Scalable – ObjectRocket’s RocketScale™ technology inherently shards instances, enabling developers to automatically provision and manage instances. Customers can choose from a variety of plans to fit their workload – from one gigabyte to multi-terabyte scale.
Consistently Fast Performance – The complete stack has been
optimized specifically for MongoDB applications. The network stack,
file system, OS kernel, and other resources have been configured to
make MongoDB as fast as possible. All data is stored on redundant,
blazing-fast Solid State Drives. During internal performance
- ObjectRocket produced a consistent latency of 2ms, which is 10X faster than the closest DBaaS competitor
- ObjectRocket met all target throughputs, up to 10,000 ops per second, which is three times the rate of the nearest DBaaS competitor
- To view performance benchmarking test results and methodology, visit: http://devops.rackspace.com/benchmarking-hosted-mongodb-services.html
- 24x7 Fanatical Support – ObjectRocket owns and controls the entire stack, allowing for greater visibility into potential platform issues and faster resolution. With ObjectRocket, every customer receives 24x7x365 fanatical support.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV