CHICAGO, Feb. 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- More people may be spending their "Golden Years" at the office. A new study from CareerBuilder shows that retirement no longer means the end of one's career. Sixty percent of workers age 60-plus surveyed said they would look for a new job after retiring from their current company, up from 57 percent last year. The nationwide survey was conducted online by Harris Interactive © on behalf of CareerBuilder. It included more than 680 U.S. workers age 60 and older and more than 2,600 hiring managers and human resources professionals between November 1 and November 30, 2012.
When asked how soon they think they can retire from their current job, more than one-in-ten (12 percent) respondents said they don't think they'll ever be able to retire. Other responses included:
- 1-2 years – 27 percent
- 3-4 years – 20 percent
- 5-6 years – 27 percent
- 7-8 years – 6 percent
- 9-10 years – 5 percent
- More than 10 years – 4 percent
There is good news for mature workers who are putting off retirement. Employers are looking to hire more seasoned staff, with 48 percent of employers planning to hire workers age 50-plus this year, according to the survey. Forty-four percent said they hired workers age 50-plus in 2012. Seventy-six percent of the employers surveyed would consider an application from an overqualified worker who is 50-plus, with 59 percent of employers saying mature candidates bring a wealth of knowledge to an organization and can mentor others.
"We're seeing more than three quarters of mature workers putting off retirement, largely due to financial concerns, but also as a personal decision made by people who enjoy their work," said Brent Rasmussen, President of CareerBuilder North America. "The majority of workers who have talked with their bosses about staying on past retirement found their companies to be open to retaining them. If you're approaching retirement age but hope to continue working, an open line of communication is very important."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV