Tax-Savvy Ways to Get Your Kids Through College
Of course there is a "modified" AGI phaseout range: $95,000 to $110,000 for singles or separate filers and $190,000 to 220,000 for married couples filing a joint return.
You can claim an American Opportunity or Lifetime Learning credit for a student in the same year he or she takes a tax-free distribution from a Coverdell, as long as the same expenses are not used for both benefits.
And you can use US Series EE or Series I Savings Bonds to save for college. The interest on bonds may be tax free when the bonds are redeemed to pay qualified higher education expenses.
According to TreasuryDirect.gov, there are seven rules for qualifying for the exclusion of bond interest:
- Qualified higher education expenses must be incurred during the same tax year in which the bonds are redeemed;
- You must be at least 24 years old on the first day of the month in which you bought the bonds.
- When using bonds for your child's education, the bonds must be registered in your name and/or your spouse's name. Your child can be listed as a beneficiary on the bond, but not as an owner or co-owner.
- When using bonds for your own education, the bonds must be registered in your name.
- If you are married, you must file a joint return to qualify for the exclusion.
- You must meet certain income requirements (see below).
- Your post-secondary institution must qualify for the program by being a college, university or vocational school that meets the standard for federal assistance (such as guaranteed student loan programs).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV