Vast Majority Wants a U.S. Pension
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Here's an intriguing concept: Every American should have a pension.
Far-fetched? Maybe not.
A study shows the vast majority of U.S. adults (especially millennials, the generation of U.S. adults born after 1976) say the current retirement system is in major disrepair and needs an overhaul. To many Americans, a national pension plan is the way to go.
Certainly, Americans are anxious yet underachieving toward their own retirements. A recent report out from HSBC (HBC) says Americans will spend 21 years in retirement but have enough only savings to get through 14 years.Thus the relatively quiet but firm push for some sort of national pension plan. According to the Washington, D.C-based National Institute on Retirement Security, 84% of Americans say they are in favor of a pension "for all Americans" and that Congress should act on the problem. More:
- 85% of Americans say they are "highly anxious" about their retirement prospects.
- 95% of millennials say the current retirement system is "under stress and needs repair."
- 90% of Americans support "a new pension plan that is available to all Americans, is portable from job to job and provides a monthly check throughout retirement for those who contribute."
- 67% of Americans say "it is a mistake to cut government spending in such a way as to reduce Social Security benefits for current retirees."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV