While the bank's planned reduction of 4,000 jobs by 2013 made the headlines on Tuesday, Dimon highlighted the bank's gains in market share, its strong franchise and touted its diversified business model.
"We have been the port in the storm and we will be the port in the storm in the next storm too," he said.
As usual, analysts looked to Dimon to hold forth on everything from fiscal policy to financial regulation and the CEO, true to form, was outspoken in his comments.Here are a few highlights from his Q&A. On buybacks and capital JPMorgan hopes to meet capital and liquidity requirements under new international rules by the end of 2013. That would mean a Basel 3 Tier 1 Common Ratio of at least 9.5% by 2013, compared to 8.7% at the end of 2012. The company will likely not be returning much capital to shareholders this year, as a result. But it says it will have a whopping $28 billion in excess capital in 2014 if it makes no buybacks, based on analyst estimates. "The stock is still a very good deal," Dimon said, implying that buybacks are still attractive, but reiterated that the bank will prioritize opportunities for organic growth over buybacks. Dimon also believes that all banks will likely have "too much capital" in the next couple of years and "will not know what to do with it." That raises concerns that banks will do something stupid with it, of course. "Some will," Dimon acknowledged, "But not everyone is equally stupid." But the kicker was his exchange with CLSA analyst Mike Mayo over capital. Mayo wondered if JPMorgan would want to build even more capital because clients might do business with a bank that has more capital and is implicitly considered safer. Apparently UBS (UBS) has been making that argument.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV