First Solar, Inc. (Nasdaq: FSLR) today announced financial results for the quarter and year ended Dec. 31, 2012. Net sales were a record $1.1 billion in the quarter, an increase of $236 million from the third quarter of 2012 and $415 million from the fourth quarter of 2011. The increase in net sales from the third quarter of 2012 was primarily due to increased revenue recognition for the Topaz project, and an increase in third-party module sales. Net sales for 2012 were $3.4 billion, up 22% from 2011.
The Company reported fourth quarter GAAP net income per fully diluted share of $1.74, compared to $1.00 in the third quarter of 2012 and a loss of $4.78 in the fourth quarter of 2011, which included $454 million in pre-tax goodwill impairment and restructuring charges. The fourth quarter of 2012 was impacted by pre-tax charges of $25 million (reducing EPS by $0.30), relating to previously announced restructuring actions. The Company reported a full-year GAAP loss of $1.11 per share for 2012, including the impact of pre-tax charges of $529 million (reducing EPS by $5.99), relating to previously announced restructuring actions and costs in excess of normal warranty. Non-GAAP net income per fully diluted share was $2.04 for the fourth quarter and $4.90 for full-year 2012.
Cash and Marketable Securities at the end of 2012 were $1 billion, up from $717 million at the end of the third quarter of 2012. Cash flows from operations were $328 million in the fourth quarter, and $762 million for the full-year 2012.
The Company also provided guidance for the first quarter of 2013 as follows:
- Net Sales of $650 to $750 million
- Gross Margin of 25-27%
- OPEX of $90 to $100 million
- Operating income of $70 to $100 million
- Tax rate between 11% and 13%
- EPS of $0.70 to $0.90 per fully diluted share
- Cash flow from Operations of $0 to $100 million
- CAPEX of $80 to $100 million
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV