FPAC Applauds New Rail Bill As Critical But Recommends Changes To Ensure Success
OTTAWA, Feb. 26, 2013 /CNW/ - The Forest Products Association of Canada (FPAC) supports the intent of the Fair Rail Freight Service Act, Bill C-52, to enhance the effectiveness, efficiency and reliability of the rail system but it recommends changes to help reduce the regulatory burden and help the legislation reach its stated intent.
FPAC appeared today before the Standing Committee on Transport, Infrastructure and Communities that is studying the legislation. The bill was brought in by the Government to level the playing field and address the imbalance in market power between shippers and the monopoly power of the railways.
"The bill is an important step forward in helping to ensure that rail shippers can deliver their goods in a timely, predictable and cost effective way to meet the needs of global customers be they in China, Europe or the United States," says the President and CEO of FPAC, David Lindsay. "However we want to make three recommendations that would improve the bill and help restore balance in the rail system."
- Remove all references to the word "operational" so that arbitrators would not have to sift through mountains of railway operational data. This would add costs and a burden that would diminish the power of the legislation.
- Delete all reference to "statutory obligations to other shippers and third parties". We do not believe it was the government's intent to have external and irrelevant information drawn into an arbitration over a very specific service failure between a shipper and railroad.
- Insert a new stand-alone section to define "adequate and suitable accommodation" and "service obligations". Shippers and the railways have already agreed we must hold firm on what a service agreement should address. Otherwise we risk diluting the legislation over time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV