Manchin Releases Budget Cut Details In W.Va.
"Task forces and these combined (law enforcement) groups are often funded with federal dollars," he said. "I would be very concerned about it."
Manchin said among the education cuts in West Virginia include $5.8 million for supplemental programs that help low-income families and students, $3 million for Head Start programs, $3.9 million for special education, and $132,000 for technology services.
The U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration would continue its coal mine inspection program, but other inspections, along with accident prevention and technical investigations, would be reduced.
Last week the Federal Aviation Administration warned it would have to close control towers at airports in Bridgeport, Huntington, Lewisburg, Parkersburg and Wheeling as part of its plan to trim $600 million in costs. The towers at Morgantown and Charleston would remain open, although overnight shifts would be eliminated. Flights would still run, but they could be delayed.Manchin said West Virginia would lose $488,000 in grants for fish and wildlife programs, in addition to being hit by cuts in overall environmental programs that promote water and air quality and cutting down on pesticide and hazardous waste pollution. The Federal Emergency Management Agency estimates the loss of more than $110,000 in grants that would enable West Virginia fire departments and other emergency personnel obtain equipment, training and other resources. Manchin said an additional $177,000 in cuts would diminish the state's response to public health threats. Manchin said other cuts would jeopardize food safety inspection facilities, eliminate financial aid for 200-low income students and job-search assistance for residents, including military veterans, and reduce funding for domestic violence, child immunization and senior nutrition programs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV