Cuba Says Cigar Sales $416 Million Last Year
HAVANA (AP) â¿¿ Cuban cigar sales rose last year despite the ongoing economic crisis in some of the most important European markets including No. 1 buyer Spain, state-run tobacco company officials said Tuesday.
Sales totaled $416 million in 2012, Habanos SA representatives told reporters at a smoky press conference held to kick off Cuba's Cigar Festival in a Havana convention center. That was up from $401 million the previous year.
Some 1,500 participants from 70 countries were attending the island's 15th annual stogie-fest, which will include a sommelier contest, an exhibition of tobacco-infused cooking and an auction of humidors that can fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars apiece.
Officials are also trying out a humidor raffle this year with 1,000 tickets being sold at $100 a pop and the proceeds benefitting Cuba's health system.German tennis great Boris Becker, Cuban crooner Omara Portuondo and a trio of former NBA players including Seattle Supersonics star Gary Payton are among the announced celebrity invitees. Spain, which is currently suffering from a 26 percent unemployment rate, continues to be the top importer of Cuban cigars, although officials said sales there were hurt by economic woes. That was offset by a 6 percent uptick in China, the No. 3 buyer and an increasingly important market for cigars. Washington's 51-year economic embargo prohibits Cuban cigars from being imported to the United States.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV