Another foreign communications stock that's forming a similar pattern is Shaw Communications (SJR), the $10 billion Canadian telco. Like DCM, Shaw is forming an ascending triangle pattern -- the key differences are that SJR's pattern is coming after a long-term uptrend and that this one hasn't broken out yet. That gives traders a chance to get in earlier with Shaw.
Shaw Communications currently has resistance sitting right above $24. That means that a breakout above that $24 level is the buy signal for this stock.
Whenever you're looking at any technical price pattern, it's critical to think in terms of buyers and sellers. Triangles, rectangles and other pattern names are a good quick way to explain what's going on in this stock, but they're not the reason it's tradable. Instead, it all comes down to supply and demand for shares.Resistance at $24 is a price where there's an excess of supply of shares; in other words, it's a place where sellers have been more eager to take recent gains and sell their shares than buyers have been to buy. That's what makes the breakout above $24 so significant. It indicates that buyers are finally strong enough to absorb all of the excess supply above that price level. That's when you want to own shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV