Coviello put forward that organizations can no longer afford to remain idle when it comes to updating their security measures and must be willing to take action to adopt an intelligence-driven security model to better defend against unknown threats. The security industry, he said, must also develop an adaptive capacity built on security analytics, risk-based controls and multiple sources of threat intelligence to help security organizations more rapidly identify and respond to threats. Coviello articulated his vision for an intelligence-driven security model enabled by Big Data that can be applied in two ways:
- Security Management for Big Data – Despite today's compute power, bandwidth, database management and storage capacity, organizations will still require all data sets to be analyzed so that they can gain better visibility into a wide variety of contextual data, structured and unstructured, internal and external. Organizations will need to have the right level of context to build specific information about digital assets, users and systems. Big Data architectures can and should be scalable enough to meet each organization's unique requirements. Organizations will then be able to spot and correlate abnormal behavior in people, transactions and the flow and use of data to identify potential attacks and fraud.
- Development and application of controls for Big Data – Organizations will need to subscribe to a more holistic approach for implementing individual Big Data controls by replacing isolated controls that are task-specific, such as malware blocking. Individual controls should evolve to interact with intelligence feeds, risk and compliance platforms, security management systems, and each other making them more dynamic and situationally aware. Other task-specific Big Data controls should have the capacity to be self-learning.
Coviello also cited examples of technologies starting to meet these new Big Data requirements by building tools with Big Data analytics such as the new RSA ® Authentication Manager 8.0 platform. He outlined how Authentication Manager 8.0 combines risk-based analytics drawn from a self-learning engine refined through more than 30 billion transactions with a powerful rules engine and industry-leading RSA SecurID ® two-factor authentication. RSA also recently announced the RSA ® Security Analytics platform that is designed to provide a Big Data approach to security monitoring by fusing security log and packet data with internal and external threat intelligence.
Referring to RSA's recent Big Data Security Brief, Coviello highlighted the six guiding principles that can help organizations begin planning for the Big Data-driven transformation of their security toolsets and operations as part of an intelligence-driven security program.
- Download the RSA Security Brief, " Big Data Fuels Intelligence-Driven Security"
- Get Art Coviello's full RSA Conference 2013 keynote transcript on the EMC Reflections Blog
- Connect with RSA via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and the RSA Speaking of Security Blog and Podcast
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV