NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Today I profile seven more stocks in the retail sector: five retail-wholesale stocks, one from the consumer discretionary sector and one from the consumer staples sector. Five of these stocks are rated buy and two are rated hold.
We began the week with a "key reversal" day on the Dow Jones Industrial Average. After setting a new multi-year high at 14,081.58, the Dow plunged to 13,784.17, well below Friday's low at 13,880.62. With a new multi-year high we are on watch for a weekly "key reversal" with a close on Friday below last week's low at 13,834.40.
Back in October 2007 the Dow Industrials had weekly closes above 14,000 only twice on Oct. 6, 2007, and Oct. 13, 2007. The following week the Dow closed at 13,522, so a quick and fierce market reversal can happen.
With Monday's stock market decline and with a decline in the U.S. Treasury bond yield to 3.067%, the percentage of overvalued stocks fell to 56.6% from 65.8% on Feb 21 when www.ValuEngine.com issued a valuation warning.ValuEngine still shows that 15 of 16 sectors are overvalued, but sectors overvalued by more than 10% fell to 7 from 10 on Monday. Today's focus sectors are overvalued: consumer discretionary by 5.4%, consumer staples by 21.9% and retail-wholesale by 8.4%. The consumer staples sector is the most overvalued. The retailers profiled today are not the best performers within their sectors as six of seven are trading below their 200-day simple moving averages (SMA).
Reading the TableOV/UN Valued -- The stocks with a red number are undervalued by this percentage. Those with a black number are overvalued by that percentage according to ValuEngine. VE Rating -- A "1-Engine" rating is a strong sell, a "2-Engine" rating is a sell, a "3-Engine" rating is a hold, a "4-Engine" rating is a buy and a "5-Engine" rating is a strong buy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV