First spotted by AppleInsider, Apple was recently granted a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for two-way communication of location data between a portable media device and an accessory. Here's a look at the original patent describing the technology.
What's interesting about this patent is that it allows for media to be transferred between devices using GPS data with a separate accessory. It's also interesting to note that the patent shows that you don't need a GPS receiver to push location information to the device. Right now, Apple only builds iOS devices with GPS technology in them, but that could change in the future.
There's mention of an iWatch in the patent, but reading between the lines, you can envisage an iPhone and iWatch being synced through GPS. For example, a phone call could come in and you could answer it via the watch, as opposed to the phone. The same would work for any data, such as messages, Web browsing and the like.Apple iWatch Draws Heavy Interest As worries increase about Apple's seeming lack of innovation, an iWatch couldn't come at a better time. It could also mean big business for the tech giant. Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty believes a smart watch by Apple would have advantages over other smart watches in the market, most notably Nike's (NKE) SportWatch. Huberty believes the watch could be worth as much as $10 billion to $15 billion in annual revenue for Apple, assuming a $200 price point. Apple could not be immediately reached for comment for this story. Shares of Apple were slightly lower in Tuesday trading, down 0.61% to $440.08. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV