President Obama Takes Middle Class Hostage: Opinion
For example, the Agriculture Department has one of the largest staffs of economists in the world. Surely, safe food is more important than yet another dull research paper. Military bands could stand down to maintain Marine guards at embassies.
Repeatedly, the President has exclaimed that if Congressional Republicans don't cooperate, spending cuts now could derail the hard-won recovery. It puzzles why he believes $85 billion in spending cuts could make such a difference, when avoiding those cuts through higher taxes would not.
Whether a second recession occurs is already baked in the cake. Obama's $150 billion in January tax increases, and rate hikes imposed by Democratic governors from Maryland to California, have forced consumers to trim purchases.
Retailers and wholesalers are reporting weaker traffic and are trimming inventories, and corporate leaders have announced plans to cut new investments and hiring owing to weak demand and more burdensome health care costs and regulations.When Americans can't get hamburger at the supermarket and unemployment rises this spring, the President will blame Republicans for permitting sequestration, but it is the American people that bear the burden of his inflexibility, disregard for the facts and neglect in undertaking the responsibilities of his office. Follow @pmorici1 This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV