Bring on the Sequester
NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- I'm now as tired of the word "sequester" as I was of
Twelve of Washington's finest, a.k.a. the "super" committee, could not come to an agreement of how to cut $1.2 trillion over 10 years, and this, sequestration, is the" punishment." It was thought to be so severe, so dreaded, that there was no way the gang of 12, six Republicans and six Democrats, would leave that room until there was an agreement.
But guess what? They gave up. They could not reach an agreement. They kicked it down the road again. But who cared at the time? It was November 2011, and the automatic cuts would not kick in for another 13 months. Plus, there were bigger fish to fry. There was an election on the horizon, then there was this "cliff."
It didn't matter. As part of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, a.k.a. the great "cliff" diverter, sequestration was put off for another two months. That two-month delay is about up.Now we are bombarded by the warnings that the sky is falling, that our lives will be ruined if the $85 billion in cuts under sequestration are allowed to go into effect. I say let it happen. For one, it is getting more difficult to believe the politicians and the talking heads as we jump from crisis to crisis and they tell us we must do X or Y will happen. I've stopped believing them. I believe that many other Americans have as well. We are yawning about sequestration. We've had enough. Part of that is simple crisis fatigue. Part of it is based on the belief that $85 billion in cuts out of a $3.6 trillion budget is a drop in the bucket. Part of it may be some wishful thinking, too. I just don't believe that the sky will begin falling on Friday, and fall harder as more of the cuts kick in. I just don't buy the scare tactics: Cuts in defense, first responders, border patrol agents, teachers, air traffic controllers, etc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV