Updated from 8:04 a.m. EST to provide analyst comments regarding cash distribution in the 11th paragraph.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Apple (AAPL) is holding its annual shareholder meeting today, and there are some incredibly important themes that could emerge as the largest technology company in the S&P 500 talks to investors about its future plans.
First and foremost, shareholders will be keeping a close eye on what Apple has to say about its cash hoard, which is now over $137 billion. This comes in light of a recent lawsuit by Greenlight Capital and David Einhorn, who sued Apple to stop Proposal 2, which he said harms shareholders. Investors will also be keen to hear if the company reveals anything about its long-term product plans and its supply chain, particularly in light of recent revenue shortfalls. Apple, as we know, strives for perfection, so it will be interesting to see how it tackles these topics.
Apple has had a rough go of it recently, with shares down more than 22% in the past three months, and 16.8% year to date. The Cupertino, Calif.-based firm continues to beat its own estimates, but not Wall Street's potentially overblown expectations. Sales in the most recent quarter were up 17.6% year over year when factoring in last year's extra week, but that wasn't good enough for Wall Street.There are concerns over Apple's product pipeline, though recent rumors of an iWatch could put those concerns to bed. CEO Tim Cook has put his own stamp on the company, and it will be interesting to see how he talks to an increasingly frustrated shareholder group. Here are three of the most important themes that may emerge from Apple's shareholder meeting:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV