CHICAGO, Feb. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], parent company to TDS Telecommunications Corp. (TDS Telecom), today announced an agreement to acquire substantially all of the assets of Baja Broadband, LLC ("Baja"), a cable company headquartered in Alamogordo, New Mexico, for a purchase price of $267.5 million, subject to working capital and other adjustments. Baja generated annual revenues of $82.4 million in 2012, and has approximately 285 employees. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of 2013, pending regulatory approvals.
Baja Broadband is a full-service communications company, providing video, high-speed broadband and voice services to residential and commercial customers in Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and Utah.
"Baja Broadband is a natural extension of our existing businesses, with significant potential to deliver increased returns over time," said David A. Wittwer, president and CEO, TDS Telecom. "Our strategy is to leverage our expertise and existing platform and technologies to accelerate growth in underserved, high-potential markets. We plan to build on Baja's solid customer base and upgraded network to increase penetration and revenues with new services and products and outstanding customer experiences. And our experience with commercial customers will enable us to target new services and products to this fast-growing sector in Baja's service areas."
As of Dec. 31, 2012, Baja passed approximately 212,000 homes, with approximately 74,000 video subscribers, 56,000 high-speed broadband subscribers and 15,000 digital voice subscribers. Approximately 96 percent of Baja's network is equipped to deliver high-speed, high-capacity broadband and video services."Baja's strong network capabilities will enable us to deliver highly competitive data services, while reducing the need for future capital investment," added Wittwer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV