Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc. (“Cracker Barrel” or the “Company”) (Nasdaq: CBRL) today reported financial results for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 ended February 1, 2013.
Second-Quarter Fiscal 2013 Highlights
- Compared to the prior year second quarter, comparable store traffic increased 0.2%, comparable store restaurant sales increased 3.3% and comparable store retail sales increased 3.1%.
- Fifth consecutive quarter of positive comparable traffic, restaurant sales and retail sales, and outperformance of the Knapp-Track TM casual dining index.
- On a GAAP basis, operating income margin was 8.1% of total revenue, compared with 7.0% in the prior year quarter. Adjusted for proxy contest and severance expenses, adjusted operating income margin was 8.4% of total revenue, compared with 7.5% in the prior year quarter. (See non-GAAP reconciliation below.)
- On a GAAP basis, earnings per diluted share were $1.47, compared to $1.10 in the prior year quarter. Adjusted for proxy contest and severance expenses, and the prior year benefit from the Work Opportunities Tax Credit (“WOTC”), adjusted earnings per diluted share were $1.43 compared to adjusted earnings per diluted share of $1.20 in the prior year quarter. Second quarter GAAP EPS includes $0.19 per diluted share due to the retroactive reinstatement (effective January 1, 2012) of the WOTC, of which $0.09 per share relates to the prior fiscal year. (See non-GAAP reconciliation below.)
Second-Quarter Fiscal 2013 Results
RevenueThe Company reported total revenue of $702.7 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2013, representing an increase of 4.4% over the second quarter of the prior year. Comparable store restaurant sales increased 3.3%, including a 3.1% increase in average check. The average menu price increase for the quarter was approximately 2.6%. Comparable store retail sales were up 3.1% for the quarter. The Company estimates that inclement weather in the second quarter reduced comparable store traffic, restaurant and retail sales by approximately 0.3%. During the quarter, the Company opened one new Cracker Barrel store, for a total of five new store openings year-to-date.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts