NEWTON, Mass., Feb. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site*, today announced the results of its annual air travel survey of more than 2,000 respondents. Air travel plans are on the rise for Americans as 91 percent intend to take a domestic flight at least once in 2013, up from 86 percent who said they flew domestically last year. Additionally, international travel is taking off, with 67 percent planning such flights, compared to 56 percent that did so in 2012.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/57948-tripadvisor-annual-air-travel-survey-flyer-preferences-and-annoyances
No Frills, No FeesWhen travelers were asked to share their biggest complaints about air travel, lack of seat comfort and airline fees top the list. The top five biggest complaints about air travel:
- Uncomfortable seats / limited legroom
- Costly airline fees and ticket prices
- Unpredictable flight delays
- Long security lines
- Other passengers (e.g. loud children)
- 44 percent have never paid extra for a better seating assignment.
- 85 percent of travelers said they would pay less than $25 for a seat upgrade on domestic flights, 81 percent would pay $50 or less on international flights.
- If they had it their way, 58 percent would take an aisle seat, 42 percent would choose the window, and four percent prefers the oft-dreaded middle seat.
- 81 percent would be willing to go without in-flight entertainment for a significantly cheaper flight.
- 63 percent are not willing to pay to sit in a designated "quiet" section of the airplane if airlines offered such a section, while 23 percent said they might pay less than $25.
- Checked baggage
- Carry-on baggage
- Seat selection
- Printed boarding pass at airport
- In-flight amenities
- 87 percent of respondents participate in a frequent flyer program.
- 73 percent have exchanged points for a free or discounted flight.
- 26 percent have successfully used points for seat upgrades.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts