BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford becomes the first American automaker to open-source the software of a product by contributing the AppLink ™ code to the GENIVI Alliance
- The AppLink connectivity interface allows drivers to take control of compatible smartphone and tablet apps through dashboard buttons or voice commands
- Contribution builds on Ford's initial commitment to app developers with the launch of the first open developer program in the auto industry, http://developer.ford.com
Today Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) expanded its commitment to help encourage the growing community of automotive app developers by announcing it will contribute the software for AppLink ™, the Ford-developed in-car smartphone app interface, to the GENIVI Alliance. Ford becomes the first American automaker to contribute proprietary source code from one of its products to an open-source project.
The AppLink software enables apps from connected smartphones to be controlled using the vehicle interface, including available voice recognition and audio buttons. Along with the announcement of the industry-first open mobile app developer program at the 2013 International CES this past January, Ford announced the intention to take further steps to help developers be successful working with the automotive industry, an emerging growth area for app integration.
"Ford wants to see app developers succeed in their work with the auto industry," said Doug VanDagens, global director of Connected Services at Ford. "Contributing the AppLink software to GENIVI demonstrates our commitment to be developer-focused which supports our drive for consumer-focused innovation."Learning from the lessons of the smartphone market, Ford understands that a vibrant app ecosystem is essential to the success of a platform for both users and developers. Great apps will attract customers to the platform, which in turn draws more developers to expand the boundaries of functionality. By open-sourcing the AppLink platform so that automakers and aftermarket infotainment manufacturers can incorporate it, developers will get a larger potential market and more incentive to create apps that can be used on the go.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV