At Mobile World Congress, MasterCard in collaboration with Equity Bank announced the introduction of Mobile Point of Sale (MPOS) technology to Kenya. MasterCard and Equity Bank have partnered with Ezetap, one of the leading MPOS providers to introduce this service.
Daniel Monehin, division president, MasterCard Sub-Saharan Africa commented, “Our collaboration with Equity Bank and Ezetap to introduce this innovative technology to Kenya will help businesses and retailers boost sales through broadened acceptance. The MasterCard MPOS solution will allow Kenyan retailers who previously operated on a cash-only-basis, to use mobile phones as point of sale (POS) terminals and accept electronic payments.”
This initial MPOS pilot project, which was first announced on 15 January as part of the strategic alliance between Equity Bank and MasterCard to issue 5 million cards, will be targeted at selected merchant retail outlets. This will give Equity Bank the necessary data to implement a more in-depth countrywide roll-out of the Ezetap MPOS solution.
The Ezetap solution has been operational in India for several months. It consists of a lightweight and robust device that can be plugged into smart phones and tablets. The solution is compliant with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS) and the Payment Application Data Security Standard (PADSS) global security standards.“MPOS has the potential to transform payments in emerging markets. However, our experience in other markets has shown that technology is only half the battle,” said Abhijit Bose, CEO of Ezetap. “To be fully successful, you need a strong set of partners, like MasterCard and Equity Bank, who truly understand the needs and concerns of the local merchants and consumers.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV