C. Everett Koop, The Nation's Doctor, Was A Giant In The Fight Against Tobacco
WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is a statement of Matthew L. Myers, President, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids:
All of us at the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids are deeply saddened to learn of the death of former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop. Dr. Koop was a giant in the fight against tobacco and continues to inspire us today with his challenge to create a smoke-free society in the United States.
Dr. Koop was the epitome of what a Surgeon General should be and truly the nation's doctor. He was dedicated to making sure the public received the best scientific information, unfiltered by political and social bias, and absolutely committed to using his position to improve the public health and save lives. He focused the nation's attention on the urgent need to tackle tobacco and didn't shy away from straightforward talk on AIDS at a time few public officials were willing to do so.As Surgeon General, Dr. Koop issued eight reports on the health consequences of tobacco use, including the first report on the dangers of secondhand smoke and a landmark report that found nicotine had addictive qualities similar to heroin or cocaine. He also supported legislation that included a major change in cigarette warning labels in the U.S. The legislation introduced rotating warnings that better informed Americans that smoking causes lung cancer, heart disease, fetal injury and other serious conditions. Dr. Koop worked tireless and passionately to protect children from tobacco addiction and encourage smokers to quit. His legacy is the global battle that continues today to create a future free of the death and disease caused by tobacco. Dr. Koop truly was "the health conscience of the country," as he called himself. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV