STATE COLLEGE, Pa., Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The gymnasium was filled with the smiles, aspirations, and enthusiasm of more than 70 young aspiring student athletes—all girls' basketball players of elementary and middle school age—enjoying what is perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spend an afternoon dribbling, drilling, learning, and just hanging out with a great group of role models, players from a highly esteemed, major college basketball program.
That was the scene on Saturday at Penn State's Bryce Jordan Center, with the Penn State Lady Lions hosting the Second Annual Power of Pink Basketball Clinic, sponsored by Kish Bank, for girls from the Bank's Central Pennsylvania market area of Centre, Huntingdon and Mifflin Counties.
Beyond being a unique opportunity for the development and inspiration of the young girls, the event also contributed to a great cause. The clinic was a component of Kish Bank's efforts to support Penn State's involvement with The Pink Zone, a program of the Women's College Basketball Association (WCBA) that raises funds for breast cancer research and benefits associated programs at the Mount Nittany Medical Center, Lewistown Hospital, and J.C. Blair Hospital.
"This is our second year as a major sponsor of The Pink Zone at Penn State," said William P. Hayes, President, Kish Bank. "For Kish, sponsoring and helping to organize the clinic is the highlight because it enables us to give back to the community in several important ways—giving student athletes from the area a chance to experience some mentoring from accomplished Penn State players, while also cheering on the Lady Lions and their effort to help the fight against breast cancer continue to move ahead."Other components of Kish Bank's 2013 Power of Pink program include:
- Outreach to all Kish Bank banking, insurance, travel and investment services customers, and to the community at large, encouraging contributions to the Pink Zone
- The "Pinking Out of Kish," where Kish offices are decorated featuring pink décor elements, pink exterior lighting, and signage
- Pink "Buck Slips" distributed with each transaction at Kish Bank branches, promoting the Pink Zone program
- Awarding a pink basketball signed by Lady Lions players, along with luxury-box game tickets to the Pink Zone Game to two lucky winners who entered the competition to win the basketball
- Providing a $1,000 Kish Travel voucher to the Pink Zone's auction of a trip for two to Tuscany, Italy, supporting air transportation costs for the trip