Sandy Aid Hit Would Undermine NJ Governor's Budget
"There are billions of dollars coming from the federal government," he added. "The administration has as a top priority dealing with the gaps, the gaps in insurance coverage, the gaps in people's ability to elevate their houses and what they can afford they're getting from insurance, another key gap is property tax gaps."
With less Sandy money to go around, municipalities already reeling from the storm could be squeezed further.
New Jerseyans pay the highest property taxes in the country, averaging $7,870 per household. The Division of Local Government Services estimated last month that up to 25 municipalities lost at least 5 percent of their tax base to Sandy.
Bill Holland, executive director of New Jersey Working Families Alliance, said New Jersey was unprepared financially to deal with an emergency like the superstorm because Christie has given $2 billion in tax breaks to corporations and allowed a tax surcharge on millionaires to expire during his first three years in office.Holland said he expects to hear "more of the same" on Tuesday, but would like the governor to address New Jersey's continuingly high unemployment rate and a reversal of the state's failure to adequately invest in higher education.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV