- Agrium's entrenched response is entirely unrelated to shareholder value creation. JANA has invested more than $1 billion in Agrium and has a proven track record of working constructively with boards and management to achieve one goal: maximizing shareholder value. Rather than embrace the opportunity to create substantial value and JANA's highly-qualified and independent nominees, Agrium has fought to protect the status quo, despite years of relative undervaluation and underperformance. In fact, despite its supposed confidence in shareholder support, Agrium has resorted to a gimmicky attempt to cut off debate by moving up its annual meeting by over a month. As one analyst noted, "Friday after the close at the start of a holiday weekend isn't typically when company boards disclose things they are proud of" ( Credit Agricole analyst quoted in today's Financial Times)
- Agrium's new directors lack relevant experience. Neither of Agrium's new directors has significant 'breaking bulk' distribution experience. Three of JANA's nominees bring a combined 75-year track record of value creation in distribution and all five will bring a much-needed enhanced focus on shareholder value creation.
- Agrium's new directors lack sufficient independence. Prior to picking its two new directors, Agrium's CEO publicly disclosed his loyalty test for new directors, primarily that they not question management's strategy or performance, thus upending modern notions of good corporate governance. One of these directors, former Viterra CEO Mayo Schmidt, received C$30 million when Agrium acquired Viterra's distribution business.
- Momentum for real change continues to grow. Agrium's new management-approved directors and entrenchment efforts were followed by a 12% decline in its stock price, well below its weighted average peer group, indicating strong dissatisfaction with the status quo.
JANA Declines Agrium's Invitation To Join It In The Mud
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts