NEW YORK, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS) today received a 2013 Excellence Award in Corporate Philanthropy from The Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy (CECP). The CECP President's Award recognizes Mosaic's success in helping smallhold farmers in Guatemala, India and eight African countries break the cycle of insufficient crop yields and poverty through The Mosaic Villages Project.
President and CEO of The Mosaic Company, Jim Prokopanko, accepted the award today at The Annual Excellence Awards ceremony at The McGraw-Hill Companies in New York City. IBM also accepted The CECP Chairman's Excellence Award in Corporate Philanthropy for their IBM Smarter Cities Challenge. CECP recognizes these companies' commitments to the communities around them and for exemplifying the Award's four rigorous Standards of Excellence: CEO leadership, partnership, dedication to measurement, and innovation.
"The independent jury that selected these two Excellence Award winners was deeply impressed by the widespread impact the corporations have had through the success of their programs," said Daryl Brewster, CEO of CECP. "We congratulate the winners for applying their core business strategies to addressing some of the world's most pressing problems—and positively impacting individuals, families and cities around the world through corporate societal engagement."
In partnership with non-governmental organizations, The Mosaic Villages Project works to bridge the gap between food security and water scarcity. Participating farmers are granted no-interest loans to buy crop nutrients and receive agronomic education, including the 4Rs (right time, right place, right source and right rate) of nutrient application. Farmers then repay their loan through the sale of surplus crop yields at harvest. On average, farmers participating in The Mosaic Villages Project have seen crop production increase three to five times over traditional farming practices.Additionally, Mosaic works with its implementing partners to address unique cultural and community development needs, including:
- Supporting HELPS International install water filters and energy efficient stoves in Guatemalan villages to improve the health and well-being of farmers and their families; Mosaic also provided technical, science-based work to develop a Mayan heirloom seed bank with HELPS.
- Partnering with The Institute of Rural Research and Development (IRRAD) to build aquifer-recharging check dams in India that support both community drinking water and irrigation needs for farmers and their families.
- Working with Millennium Promise to bag and transport more than 2,600 tonnes of fertilizer each year to African smallhold farmers in remote, water-stressed regions; existing supply channels are fragmented and do not fulfill farmers' needs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV