- Investors expect continued growth, predicting industry AuM will reach an all time high of $2.5 trillion by year end, forecasting net inflows of $123 billion in 2013.
- Hedge funds are no longer a stand-alone asset class. Institutional investors have moved from a traditional asset class allocation to a risk-based approach. A quarter of institutional investors have adopted this approach and half of consultants recommend it to clients.
- Investors now expect steady, predictable return streams. Two thirds of investors feel that hedge funds have performed as expected or better in 2012. For 2013, 65% of investors and 79% of institutional investors are targeting returns of 5-10% from hedge funds.
- Successful fee negotiation involves compromise, whilst investors commit to top performing managers. Almost 80% of investors pay an average management fee of 1.5-2% and three quarters pay 17.5-20% for performance. Only 29% of investors who negotiate fees are successful more than half of the time.
- Institutional investors dominate hedge fund AuM. Whilst 57% of private banks decreased hedge fund AuM, almost 70% of pension funds increased their allocations. Almost half of pension funds expect to increase allocations by $100 million or more in 2013.
- The demise of fund of funds has been exaggerated, with evolved business models attracting institutional capital. 29% state that over half of new business in 2012 was for bespoke portfolios, whilst 58% of end-allocators state the main benefit of fund of fund allocations is to access niche managers, including smaller or younger funds.
Deutsche Bank Alternative Investment Survey Identifies Investor Expectations For 2013
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts