Rating Change #8
Helix Energy Solutions Group Inc
has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 6.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 49.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- HLX's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.72 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, HLX's share price has jumped by 27.48%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, HELIX ENERGY SOLUTIONS GROUP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for HELIX ENERGY SOLUTIONS GROUP is rather low; currently it is at 24.30%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -85.05% is significantly below that of the industry average.
Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as an offshore energy company. It provides reservoir development solutions and other contracting services to the energy market, as well as to its oil and gas properties. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.4, above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Helix Energy Solutions Group has a market cap of $2.6 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. Shares are up 19.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
You can view the full
Helix Energy Solutions Group Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center