2013 Insurance Customer Satisfaction Report
USAA also conducts random surveys of members after they have been on a call with a representative and after they've had a claim. The insurer also conducts customer focus groups to get feedback on possible new products.
Monitoring and tweaking
American General, ranked No. 1 among life insurance companies, also relies on its staff to follow through on superior customer service. Stephen Kennedy, senior vice president of producer services, says, “We spend the time understanding why customers call and then ensuring we have the right people available to assist them.”
American General home office staff are trained to “take ownership, be responsive and proactive, be nice (but firm when necessary) and follow through,” says Kennedy.The insurer utilizes surveys, real-time monitoring of customer feedback, call observation and random call backs in order to monitor and tweak its processes and training. The price shopper Price was cited by 42 percent survey respondents as the No. 1 most important factor in auto insurance-buying decisions; 21 percent think customer service is the most important factor. Satisfaction with claims, often a pain point, came in as third most important, with 15 percent. Knowing how many customers would recommend the company or renew their policies was chosen as most important by 11 percent each. Among customers who say they won't be renewing their auto or home insurance policies with their current company, price was the No. 1 reason. Among people who say they won't renew with their current car insurance company:
- 62 percent think their price is too high.
- 12 percent think other companies are better.
- 10 percent cite poor customer service.
- 9 percent have “other” reasons.
- 8 percent point to dissatisfaction with claims.
- Customers who chose a home insurance company based on reputation were most likely (57 percent) to give 5 stars.
- Among life insurance customers, those most likely to give 5 stars (48 percent) chose their company based on a TV commercial.
- Among health insurance customers, those most satisfied were those who picked based on company reputation or a recommendation from a friend (46 percent each giving 5 stars). The least satisfied were those who have a health plan chosen by their employer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV