Updated from 9:47 a.m. EST to provide added context in the fourth paragraph.
The Rock Hill, S.C.-based company reported fourth-quarter earnings of 19 cents a share, or 39 cents a share excluding one-time items. Revenue for the quarter rose 45% year over year to $101.6 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were looking for 26 cents a share on revenue of $103.9 million.
"We are very pleased to report outstanding quarterly and annual results on accelerated printers' sales," said Avi Reichental, 3D Systems' president and CEO, in a press release. "We believe that our results reflect the potency of our diversified portfolio, productivity of our channels and effectiveness of our strategic growth initiatives."There is intense speculation that 3D printing will eventually re-shape all of manufacturing. These companies sell printers, often costing thousands of dollars, making it possible for users to produce their own custom published products. Prospects that such innovations can bolster revenue at a time when the migration to smartphones and tablets has reduced the need for printers has prompted technology bellwethers such as HP (HPQ) to consider embracing 3D. Shapeways: The Future of 3D Printing In addition to the weak fourth-quarter results, 3D offered 2013 guidance. The company said it expects non-GAAP earnings to be between $1 and $1.15 a share, with sales between $440 million and $485 million. 3D Systems recently announced a three-for-two stock split. The split occurred after the close of business on Feb. 15. Prior to the results, shares of 3D Systems and its competitors were some of Wall Street's biggest darlings in 2012. Shares of 3D systems rose over 250% in 2012, while Stratsys (SSYS) rose more than 570% during the year. Shares of 3D Systems were lower in Monday trading, off 6.6% to $35.46. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV