Shares in Deutsche Boerse surged 10% on the news.
According to a report by Bloomberg, CME Group contacted the Frankfurt-based exchange about a potential merger, but Deutsche Boerse is hesitant to enter formal discussions. Duetsche Boerse CEO Reto Francioni said last week that the exchange would be focusing primarily on growing on its own, but would remain open to joint ventures.
A merger between the two would combine the largest futures exchanges in the U.S. and Europe.
Barnes & Noble (BKS) is trending after the retailer's chairman, Leonard Riggio, said he plans to bid for the company's retail assets. Riggio told the company's board that he plans to buy Barnes & Noble Booksellers Inc. as well as its Web site. Riggio does not plan on bidding for the Nook e-reader business. Shares of Barnes & Noble rose as much as 26% on the news. Riggio already owns nearly 30% of Barnes & Noble. In a regulatory filing, he said the purchase would comprise mainly of cash and the assumption of some debt. The company has set up a committee to consider Riggio's proposal. Barnes & Noble's retail business has struggled as more and more customers turn to e-readers and books in digital formats.
Lowe's (LOW) is another popular search. The home-improvement chain reported fourth-quarter results that beat analysts' estimates, helped by consumers looking to repair their homes after incurring damage from Hurricane Sandy. Lowe's reported net income of $288 million, or 26 cents a share, in the quarter, compared with $322 million, or 26 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts had been expecting a profit of 23 cents a share. Looking ahead to the full year, Lowe's predicted earnings of about $2.05 a share, below analysts' expectations of $2.09 a share. The company also forecast total sales for the year rising 4%, while analysts had expected a 3% rise.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV