BETHESDA, Md., Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] employees volunteered more than 7,500 hours supporting a variety of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) activities with more than 31,000 students during National Engineers Week 2013.
Engineers Week, co-sponsored by Lockheed Martin and the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying, celebrates the positive contributions engineers make to society while also inspiring students to pursue engineering and related careers."At Lockheed Martin, we have 60,000 engineers, scientists, and IT professionals, and we are dedicated to honoring their important work and also encouraging students to pursue rewarding careers in engineering-related fields," said Dr. Ray O. Johnson, Lockheed Martin's senior vice president, chief technology officer, and 2013 Engineers Week co-chair. "Through fun, hands-on activities such as engineering challenges and hosting students on facility tours, our employees are working to share their knowledge and passion for engineering with future generations."
Lockheed Martin Engineers Week activities spanned all ages and demographics with events across the country. Highlights included:
- In Orlando, Fla., Lockheed Martin hosted a high school robotics design competition called "Robario Kart" to put students' engineering skills to the test in a Mario Kart-style robotic car race. During the six weeks of preparation, Lockheed Martin employees visited the participating high schools twice a week to mentor the students through the design process.
- In Fort Worth, Texas, Lockheed Martin sponsored the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History's Engineers Week activities. The Corporation also provided its F-35 flight simulator to offer students and museum attendees the opportunity to "fly" the world's only 5 th Generation fighter jet.
- In Greenville, S.C., Lockheed Martin employees participated in the Roper Mt. Science Center's "Engineer It Day." Through this volunteer opportunity, employees helped more than 300 students disassemble and reassemble small engines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV