JACKSONVILLE, Fla., Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Investors believe U.S. equity markets will continue to perform well in 2013 but a majority are looking to alternative global investments, including metals, currencies and foreign equities, to diversify their portfolios and improve financial performance, concludes EverBank's new Global Investment Opportunities Retail Investor Survey.
EverBank, the retail banking division of EverBank Financial Corp (NYSE: EVER), polled more than 300 individual investors at The World MoneyShow Orlando between Jan. 31 and Feb. 1, to identify investment opportunities and sentiments around the globe.
Opportunities in the U.S. vs. Abroad
More than half (52 percent) of survey respondents said they are looking outside traditional U.S. equities for performance in 2013. Of those investors, 21 percent have their eyes on precious metal investment opportunities and another 21 percent see the greatest opportunity in international equities. Seven percent of survey respondents anticipate currencies will offer the greatest upside this year and 3 percent are looking at international fixed income.Further highlighting investors' increasing focus on opportunities outside the United States, two-thirds of survey respondents said they believe international investment positions have become more important in their portfolios than they were five years ago. "Investors today are realizing the importance of a well-diversified portfolio and appreciate that it's not as simple as having the right balance between equities and fixed income assets," said Frank Trotter, President of EverBank Direct. "Alternative assets like precious metals and currencies are more important than ever as investors look for ways to find better yields in a low-interest-rate environment and still-fragile global economic environment. We're seeing increased demand in products that give investors exposure to those diverse asset classes, but we believe that many investors can do more to diversify. The reality is diversification is not as difficult or complex as many people believe, and we're seeing a growing awareness of the importance of building investment portfolios that include traditional U.S. equities, traditional fixed-income assets and a wide range of more non-traditional investment vehicles." Finding Value in a Low Interest Rate Environment With record low interest rates holding steady, investors must decide how to manage their portfolios, according to EverBank. When asked to identify the strategy they would most likely pursue during this low rate environment, investors were fairly divided:
- Thirty-one percent of investors said they will pursue new ways to add value to the cash positions in their portfolio.
- Twenty-seven percent will seek out international investment opportunities.
- Twenty-six percent will look into real estate opportunities.
- Currencies and other alternative investments received 15 percent of the responses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV