In recognition of International Corporate Philanthropy Day, The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) today released its annual Community Giving Report detailing the company’s corporate and foundation contributions for the year, totaling more than $21 million.
“Our commitment to doing right in the communities where we live and work is an important part of our business culture,” said Jay S. Fishman, Travelers Chairman & CEO. “From partnering with Habitat for Humanity, to empowering women and minority entrepreneurs, to providing opportunities for young people to excel in high school, college and beyond, we are proud to support causes that help our communities thrive.”
Highlights of the company’s giving include contributions in key philanthropic focus areas – education and community development:
- More than $9.5 million — the largest percentage of Travelers’ giving for any category — was focused on educational organizations and activities.
- The company celebrated the fifth anniversary of its signature education program, Travelers EDGE (Empowering Dreams for Graduation and Employment), aimed at increasing bachelor’s degree attainment and career preparedness. 195 undergraduate students have been directly financially supported by a Travelers EDGE scholarship or stipend.
- Travelers launched a new partnership with Habitat for Humanity International and the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety to increase ownership of fortified homes in low-income coastal neighborhoods. Travelers also funded 35 Habitat builds in 23 states, logging more than 3,500 employee volunteer hours.
- As one of the nation’s largest insurers of small businesses, Travelers also began a new education program with Los Angeles-based Valley Economic Development Center to teach women and minority entrepreneurs about the risks associated with small business ownership.
- Travelers employees logged more than 42,800 corporate and personal volunteer hours, up from 31,000 in 2011.
Travelers employees requested matching funds of nearly $2 million for
their local communities:
- In recognition of Travelers employees’ volunteer hours, 571 $500 grants went to 411 organizations in 31 states and the District of Columbia, totaling $285,500. Forty-nine states and the District of Columbia received matching grants based on employees’ cash donations.
“We are humbled by the stories we’ve heard from individuals who have benefited from the services, education and opportunities enabled by Travelers and the Travelers Foundation,” said Marlene Ibsen, Vice President of Community Relations and CEO of the Travelers Foundation. “While our nation’s economy continues to recover, we are pleased to play a role in improving lives and increasing access to opportunity.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV