At a price point of $169, HP is not going after the high end of the tablet market, where the iPad dominates. Instead, it is going after lower-priced tablets, such as the Google Nexus 7 and the Amazon (AMZN) Kindle Fire HD, which both start at $199.
In other HP news, the company sold its WebOS platform to LG, with the Korean conglomerate using the operating system to support its Smart TV technology. As part of the deal, LG will get licenses for HP's intellectual property to use webOS in its products.
"This groundbreaking development demonstrates LG's commitment to investing in talent and research in Silicon Valley, one of the world's innovation hotbeds. It creates a new path for LG to offer an intuitive user experience and Internet services across a range of consumer electronics devices," Skott Ahn, LG Electronics' president and chief technology officer said in the press release. "The open and transparent webOS technology offers a compelling user experience that, when combined with our own technology, will pave the way for future innovations using the latest Web technologies."
Terms of the deal were not disclosed, and both companies said the transaction will not materially impact their respective financial statements.Shares of HP were rising in Monday trading, up 0.21% to $19.24. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV