PETALUMA, Calif., Feb. 25, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq:OCLS), a commercial healthcare company that designs, produces and markets innovative, safe and effective drugs, devices and nutritional products, today announced the issuance of new U.S. patent for the use of Microcyn® Technology in the treatment of skin ulcers. In this application, Microcyn Technology can be delivered to skin ulcers via washing, irrigation and soaking or through application of a wound dressing saturated in the Microcyn Technology. According to claims allowed by the patent examiner, the application of the Microcyn Technology via these methods will:
- Reduce the microbial load of an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the recurrence rate of an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the likelihood of dehiscence of an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the likelihood of amputation resulting from an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the likelihood of systemic inflammatory response syndrome from an infected diabetic foot ulcer;
- Decrease the likelihood of sepsis resulting from an infected diabetic foot ulcer.
Jim Schutz, CEO of Oculus said: "Healing open skin ulcers is a significant challenge for healthcare professionals around the world. Just in the United States, more than six million Americans each year suffer chronic wounds including arterial, diabetic, pressure and venous ulcers. This latest issued patent is perfectly timed with changes to healthcare rules under the Affordable Care Act, which penalize healthcare institutions for failure to use best-in-class, cost-effective products, such as Microcyn. We are increasing our efforts to convey that compelling message as broadly as possible throughout the U.S. healthcare system."
The latest-issued patent joins an intellectual property estate (either owned or licensed to Oculus) that now includes 33 issued patents (seven in the U.S. and two in the E.U.) as well 113 pending applications directed to chemical compositions, apparatuses, methods of manufacturing and therapeutic uses.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts