Dillard's, Inc. (DDS-NYSE) (the "Company" or "Dillard's") announced operating results for the 14 and 53 weeks ended February 2, 2013. The Company follows the retail 4-5-4 reporting calendar, which included an extra week in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012. This release contains certain forward-looking statements. Please refer to the Company's cautionary statements regarding forward-looking information included below under "Forward-Looking Information".
Highlights of the Company’s performance included:
- A 30% increase in fourth quarter earnings per share compared to the prior year (excluding certain items described below)
- A 3% increase in comparable store sales for the fourth quarter based upon comparable weeks, marking the Company’s 10 th consecutive quarterly comparable sales increase
- Fourth quarter merchandise gross margin improvement of 40 basis points of sales
- Cash flow from operations for the fiscal year of $522.7 million compared to $501.1 million for the prior year which made possible these actions for shareholders during the fourth quarter:
- Payment of a special dividend of $5.00 per share on December 21, 2012
- Repurchase of $23.4 million of Class A Common Stock
Fourth Quarter Results
Dillard’s reported net income for the 14 weeks ended February 2, 2013 of $161.4 million, or $3.36 per share. Included in net income is a net after-tax credit totaling $23.9 million ($0.50 per share) comprised of the following items:
- a $6.8 million after-tax gain ($0.14 per share) related to the sale of a former retail store location
- after-tax asset impairment and store closing charges of $1.1 million ($0.02 per share)
- approximately $18.1 million ($0.38 per share) in tax benefit due to a one-time deduction related to dividends paid to the Dillard’s, Inc. Investment and Employee Stock Ownership Plan
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV