Texas Elementary Student Sarah Shreve "Finds Her Voice" As Winner In Scotties National "Trees Rock" Video Contest
BURLINGTON, Mass., Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Third-grader Sarah Shreve's teachers had never heard her speak -- until two days ago, when the Lone Oak Elementary School student wrapped up the voting in a national video contest she had entered with a comment about her effort.
Sarah suffers from a severe anxiety disorder called "selective mutism" but when she entered the Scotties Facial National "Trees Rock" Video Contest, things began to change, says her mom, Melissa. "This was a contest that Sarah felt passionate about. When we got the call this week about the judging, Sarah marched over to the phone and spoke into it, saying 'We have an update for Team Sarah -- WE WON!'" (One of the tools Sarah uses for therapy is a phone, which she speaks into without anyone on the other end.) But this call was different. Scotties was calling to tell her that, after a month of online voting and nearly 100,000 votes from the public, Sarah Shreve had won $10,000 for her school and $5,000 for herself.
Sarah's mom, Melissa credits this breakthrough to the confidence Sarah has gained through the "Trees Rock" video contest, in which 3
th, and 5
th graders were challenged to create a short video about the importance of trees in our lives. During the voting period, it truly was a "Team Sarah" mentality in
Lone Oak, 60 miles east of
Dallas. As the smallest market out of all the top 12 finalists,
Lone Oak came together with a "don't mess with
Texas" attitude as Principal,
Judy Steadham recalls. "There is a real alliance between the school and the community in
Lone Oak. We had students who graduated 20 years ago were voting for her."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV