MISSISSAUGA, ON, Feb. 25, 2013 /CNW/ - UPS (NYSE: UPS) today announced a significant expansion of its UPS Worldwide Expedited ™ service, a fast, reliable air service for international shipments. The service provides delivery in two-to five business days to more than 220 countries and territories, tripling the coverage area formerly available. This expansion will help UPS customers magnify their global reach and balance delivery speed with cost, no matter where they ship.
"UPS Worldwide Expedited offers our customers many of the same benefits they get from our international express service, including fast and efficient door-to-door delivery, tracking visibility and quick customs clearance provided by UPS's customs brokerage," said John Sutthoff, UPS vice-president of international marketing. "Retail and consumer goods, industrial manufacturing and high-tech industry customers are finding the service especially attractive for the reliability and visibility supported by UPS's state of the art IT and operating infrastructure."
According to UPS, the volatile economic conditions of the last few years underscore the reason why companies should look to the global marketplace for stability and growth opportunities.
"Companies that expand beyond their domestic borders are better insulated from economic downturns at home," said Sutthoff. "Even in today's sluggish economy, we have customers who are growing their businesses by doing what UPS did decades ago - going global."UPS first expanded outside the U.S. in the mid-1970s when the company began offering domestic shipping service in Canada and West Germany. Throughout the 1980s, UPS worked quickly to establish an integrated service network that could provide pick-up and delivery service all over the world. Some of the significant milestones in UPS's international history include:
- Becoming the first transportation company to offer direct door-to-door service between key markets in Europe and every address in the 48 contiguous states (1985)
- The establishment of UPS Airlines - the fastest major airline startup in U.S. Federal Aviation Administration history - today, one of the largest airlines in the world (1988)
- Becoming the first foreign carrier to establish wholly-owned operations in China (2005). UPS also was the first foreign carrier to be given authority by the Chinese government to establish an air hub in China, which opened in Shanghai in 2008.
- The creation of UPS Paperless ® Invoice, the world's first "paperless" international shipping service in Canada and the U.S. that gives exporters the ability to submit their customs paperwork electronically, making international shipping faster, easier and more environmentally responsible (2008)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV