5 Most Costly Taxpayer Mistakes
"The IRS is intimidating to anyone, but you can't ignore them," says Byrd.
Fortunately, Byrd says his experience has been that most IRS workers are reasonable and willing to work with taxpayers. For those who owe taxes, installment agreements are available and penalties can even be reduced.
However, to avoid making more mistakes, Byrd counsels taxpayers to find competent advice and representation when working with the IRS.
"Most taxpayers give the IRS too much information and too much ammunition," he notes.It is almost a given that tax season can be time consuming and stressful, but that doesn't mean it has to be more expensive than necessary. Avoid these mistakes and help keep more of your money out of the government's pocket.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV