The Rovi study revealed opportunities to improve and enhance the entertainment experience with new mobile streaming features and functionality as well as greater content access. For example, appearing to highlight a market need for advanced adaptive streaming solutions and new compression standards such as High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), less than 20% of all mobile users rate the visual quality of their streaming video as excellent. Moreover, the majority note features such as quick loading and smooth playback as the most important when watching streaming video. In addition, one of the most desired features requested by consumers was the ability to pause video and then resume play later on the same or a different device.
Finally, mobile device users indicated that video ads (played before, during or after a video) are by far the most effective ad format in helping them retain brand or product information and spurring them to take action. However, they are worried about costs related to streaming video. Approximately half of the respondents say that they limit the amount of video streamed on their mobile phones over cost concerns—and nearly all expressed a belief that they should enjoy free access to TV content on their mobile phones through their cable provider.
Other survey highlights:
- 66% of UK tablet users spend an average of 30 minutes or more viewing streaming media in a single session, the most of any country surveyed. U.S. users rank second at 62%.
- Mobile phone users in Italy reported the shortest streaming media session times at 3-10 minutes on average.
- 93% of U.S. tablet users and 80% of U.S. mobile phone users believe that tablets are a good way to view movies/TV shows.
- French and Italian consumers appear the most dissatisfied with video quality, with approximately 10% rating quality as poor.
- About 80% of all tablet users consume most of their streaming video at home, while only about 15% consume the majority of their video while commuting to work.
- In comparison, only about 50% of all mobile phone users consume most of their streaming video at home, while approximately 35% consume the majority of their video while commuting to work, making mobile phones today's preferred commuting device.
More results from the Rovi survey are available in the Mobile World Congress Edition of Rovi Insights Series available via: http://www.rovicorp.com/insights/index.htm . The latest volume also explores "outside-in development," an approach to product design in which mobile devices drive the personalization and interactivity features that, today, reside on the TV. It also covers in detail the recently approved High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), a new video compression standard that is expected to have a significant impact on mobile video viewing.About Rovi Corporation (Nasdaq:ROVI) Rovi powers the discovery, delivery, display and monetization of digital entertainment. With innovative technology solutions for consumer electronics manufacturers, service providers, content producers, advertisers, retailers and websites, Rovi connects people and the entertainment they love. The company holds over 5,000 issued or pending patents worldwide and is headquartered in Santa Clara, California. More information about Rovi can be found at rovicorp.com. The Rovi Corporation logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=6482 Forward Looking Statements All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words "will" or "is expected to," or similar words that describe the Company's or its management's future plans, objectives, or goals, are "forward-looking statements" and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of the Company to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in the Company's most recent report on Form 10-K for the period ended December 31, 2012 and such other documents as are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time (available at www.sec.gov ). The Company assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.
CONTACT: For more information, contact: Chris Taylor Rovi Corporation 408-562-3077 Chris.D.Taylor@rovicorp.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV