BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. (QuIC), will extend the AllJoyn™ software development project with new core interoperable services to enable richer experiences for consumers. These new services will be available on devices with different operating systems and from different vendors.
The AllJoyn framework will include new services designed to address fundamental use cases to enable a truly useful Internet of Everything. Today, the AllJoyn SDK provides the core building blocks developers need to address discoverability, connectivity, security and management of dynamic, ad-hoc networks between nearby devices. With the addition of these planned AllJoyn services, manufacturers and developers will be able to utilize higher-level components that implement some of the most common use cases. QuIC expects to release fully functional versions of these core services under an open source license on AllJoyn.org and such services will include:
- Onboarding – a 'headless' or other simpler smart device can easily be configured via an intermediary, such as a smartphone application, for use onto a user's personal network
- Notifications – enabling a standard way for devices to broadcast and receive text, image and multimedia notifications
- Audio Streaming – facilitating an interoperable, open, wireless audio streaming protocol that allows users to stream their music across products from any manufacturer
- Control – allowing for devices to export their control interfaces, including rich graphical elements associated with them
These new core services will be upstreamed into the AllJoyn open source project by May 2013. It is expected that many Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. platforms and products will include integrated support for these services as well.
"A useful Internet of Everything will emerge when connected products, applications and consumer services can interact via a common communications protocol," said Rob Chandhok, president of QuIC. "We are driving toward this vision by adding new core services intended for very broad application but deliberately designed to be simple and basic so that they can be adapted to as-yet unforeseen future requirements. The opportunities for proximal networking in the home and automotive environments are a clear place to start; over time, and with the engagement of the open source community and manufacturers, we hope to extend AllJoyn such that any product with a processor can be made more useful to individuals and enterprises through simple connection and interaction with other devices, regardless of vendor or operating system."The audio streaming and notification services will be demonstrated in the Qualcomm booth (Hall 3, Booth #3864) at Mobile World Congress from Feb. 25-28 in Barcelona. The audio streaming demo is via an Android multimedia player application from doubleTwist Corporation and will be showcased with the recently introduced Qualcomm Skifta Audio Module. About Qualcomm Incorporated Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) is the world leader in 3G, 4G and next-generation wireless technologies. Qualcomm Incorporated includes Qualcomm's licensing business, QTL, and the vast majority of its patent portfolio. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, operates, along with its subsidiaries, substantially all of Qualcomm's engineering, research and development functions, and substantially all of its products and services businesses, including its semiconductor business, QCT. For more than 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of digital communications, linking people everywhere more closely to information, entertainment and each other. For more information, visit Qualcomm's website, OnQ blog, Twitter and Facebook pages. Qualcomm is a trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries. AllJoyn is a trademark of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. Other products or brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV