Japan to Tap Kuroda to Head Central Bank: Reports
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Japan's prime minister is expected to nominate Asian Development Bank President Haruhiko Kuroda to take the reins at the nation's central bank, according to published media reports.
Citing anonymous sources, Reuters and The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday that the government planned to appoint Kuroda, a proponent of an expansionary monetary policy, to be chief of the Bank of Japan.
The selection of Kuroda, who oversaw the finance ministry's currency policy in the early 2000s, would fulfill Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's December pledge to appoint a central banker who would dramatically increase the nation's money supply, the Journal reported.
Such a move would increase the number of yen in circulation and drive down its value, making Japanese exports more attractive in world markets.Abe's chief spokesman declined to comment, the Journal reported. Kuroda also declined to comment, the newspaper reported.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV