4 Ways to Protect Yourself Against Card Skimmers
NEW YORK (LowCards.com) -- Card skimming is now a sophisticated crime that can happen anywhere you swipe your credit or debit card.
There are usually no signs your card was skimmed, but by using the stolen debit card and PIN, a thief can drain all of the money quickly from your bank account. Stolen account numbers can also be sold to online shoppers.
Thieves can insert skimmers -- sold on the Web along with the software to run them -- into card reader sleeves and hide tiny cameras nearby to record PINs.
A skimmer can look like part of the ATM and be very hard to see. After the card is swiped, data on the magnetic stripe are picked by the skimmer's card reader. The information can then be stored on the memory of the skimmer device or transmitted wirelessly to a secondary location.The camera can be smaller than an eraser head and look like part of the machine. Memory cards can store video footage and details of thousands of unknowing bank customers. There are some steps you can take to protect against skimmers:
- Before swiping your debit card, give a small tug on the card swiper. If there is any movement or the device comes off, don't use that ATM -- it could be a sign a thief has inserted a skimmer.
- You may be able to keep the thief from seeing your PIN by covering the keyboard with your free hand and blocking the view of a camera.
- Check your account statement regularly for suspicious charges or withdrawals.
- If you think your card has been part of a skimming scam, contact your financial institution immediately.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV