WASHINGTON -- Drug companies Affymax Inc. (AFFY) and Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. (TKPYY) have issued a recall of their anemia drug Omontys after reports of severe allergic reactions in some kidney dialysis patients, including some deaths.
The companies said that more than 25,000 patients have received Omontys, which is used against anemia in patients undergoing kidney dialysis.
The companies said that 0.2% of the patients who have received the drug, or about 50, have reported severe allergic reactions and around 0.02% of patients, or about five, have died following their first dose of the drug.
The serious hypersensitivity reactions occur within 30 minutes of the drug being administered for the first time. The companies said that no such reactions have been reported subsequent times that the drug is administered to a patient.The companies said that dialysis centers should stop using Omontys and that customers will be provided with instructions on how to return the product to the manufacturer for a refund. Customers with questions can call 1-855-466-6689 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. The two companies said they were working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on the details of the recall.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV